Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is a unique skill development initiative that was launched by the Government of India under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and is being implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
The basic objective of the scheme is to mobilize and enable a large number of Indian youth, especially those people who have dropped out of educational institutions and are currently unemployed.
The aim is to provide them with skill training so that they can be employed to be able to earn a livelihood. The earned livelihood has to be more than the earnings of a daily wage worker and has to be a stable form of income.
Since 2016, the government has imparted training to over 6.9 million people under the PMKVY scheme. This is being implemented with the objective of training 10 million people under short term learning and recognition of prior learning across the country within a span of four years.
A total of 12 crores is dedicated to this. The aim of skill development is to standardize skill training in India and also to retain skills that already exist.
The skills these individuals are trained to help them contribute to the overall productivity of the country. The skill development program helps trainees in seeking bright employment opportunities and also in becoming self-employed.
In rural areas, there is a shortage of employable individuals because these individuals are not properly trained. The initiative aspires to reduce the gap between demand and supply of skilled individuals.
The main aim of the initiative is to get target groups to train them and enroll them in specific job roles. The process includes training, assessment, certification, placement, and placement tracking.
Here is how the process usually takes place.
Finding a training center: One can call the following numbers to find out the details of the training centers near their locations.
- AISECT’s NSDC-PMU department — 0755–2432832
- AISECT-NSDC PMKK department — 0755–2432837
- AISECT HO reception — 0755–2432950/930
Or, one can visit the website www.pmkvyofficial.org and follow these instructions
- Click on the ‘Find a training center’ tab
- Fill the desired state and district information
- Type ‘AISECT SKILLS MISSION’ under ‘TP Name’ and click on search
- Enrollment: Once the individual finds the desired training center, they have to visit the center taking along with them documents like Aadhar card, passport size photos, and their qualification certificates. A counselor is appointed to solve individual queries. A course is suggested to the individual based on their qualifications. Details are also given about the career and placement opportunities after the course. Since this is an initiative by the government, no fee has to be paid.
- Training: According to the guidelines laid down by NSDC, complete training will be provided to these individuals with the help of state of the art equipment and infrastructure. The duration of the training varies depending on the job role. Soft skills and linguistic training is a part of the course curriculum regardless of which skill is chosen.
- Assessment and certification: Upon completion of the training, assessment is done by an external third party or assessment agency. During the assessment, applicants have to carry their Aadhar cards. The assessment can be either online or offline. On clearing the assessment, the individual gets certified by NSDC.
- Placements: As the main aim of the initiative is to provide employment, a good number of placement opportunities will be provided to the successful candidates. AISECT provides candidates with a large number of job opportunities.
These are the steps required for skill development in India.